Normal wear and tear on your lawn throughout the season causes stress to the turf. This fall, it is important to aerate and overseed your turf for a thick, lush lawn next year!
Benefits of Core Aeration and Overseeding:
- Aeration reduces soil compaction. Just as you wouldn't try to plant a flower in concrete… a rock hard soil bed is not conducive to a great lawn either! Loose soil allows grass roots to plunge deeper into the soil to find vital water resources in times of stress.
- Aeration reduces thatch. Thatch is made up of grass stems and roots that accumulate faster than they breakdown. Excessive thatch creates an environment that is favorable to pests and disease.
- Aeration allows access to the root zone. By penetrating the soil, you’re allowing moisture, air, & food to the root zone where nutrients are absorbed.
- Aeration enhances seed germination. Seeds germinate easily in aerator holes as the holes provide them a place to hide.
- Overseeding introduces new grass seed to fill in bare or thin areas as well as thickening existing turf. Over time, grass plants reach their peak and need to be replaced. Different factors contribute to the breakdown of the grass including foot traffic, heat, lack of water, environmental conditions, pet waste, etc.
- Overseeding builds resistance to disease. By incorporating different blends of grass seed (Dowco uses a seed blend consisting of at least 6 types of turf type tall fescue) you reduce your risk to diseases that can wipe out the entire lawn.
- Aeration and overseeding will help to reduce weeds. Opportunistic weeds germinate in areas where they can be successful. Crabgrass grows in thin areas, nutsedge pops up in thin/low spots, and broadleaf weeds spread where there is little desirable grass. The best defense is to have a thick lawn.
- Aeration and overseeding will immediately improve your lawn’s current appearance. If your lawn was attacked by fungus, insects, or animals this year a core aeration and overseeding will help. You’ll be able to see seed germination in 7-10 days.
So now you know the importance of core aeration and overseeding!
If you’re ready for a price from Dowco, click the link below.
Dowco is the premier provider of lawn care and landscape maintenance services. We are committed to improving the quality of your life so that you can spend time doing the things you want to do! Our full service menu includes weekly maintenance of your property, plant health visits, and modern site enhancements.