It's turf disease season in St. Louis!
If you're wondering why your turf is turning brown, even though it's had plenty of rain and moisture. Keep reading. You may have a fungus in your turf.
What are the brown spots in my lawn?
Brown spots can be caused by a number of reasons including dog urine, drought, chemical burn, grubs etc. However, if you are noticing brown patches when the weather is hot and humid, there is a good chance you may have a turf fungal disease.
What are the prime conditions for fungus or turf disease?
In St. Louis, disease occurs during the hot, summer months when there are temperatures over 75 degrees and excess moisture, and humidity. Fungus tends to develop in, but is not limited to, predominantly shaded areas that do not have enough time to dry out. The most common identifiers for turf disease are lesions on the grass blade.
How do I prevent fungus or turf disease from entering my lawn?
- A think lush turf is the best defense against disease. A combination of a year-round fertilization program and aeration and overseeding in the fall will help your odds against turf disease.
- Allow your turf to dry thoroughly between watering. Watering in the morning and letting the sun naturally dry the turf out throughout the day is best.
- Let your grass grow. Over the hot summer months, mow your lawn less frequently, higher, and always with a sharp blade.
What can be done to treat turf disease?
- Treat the disease with a fungicide application. Dowco recommends treating the disease with two applications two weeks apart. Dowco uses a liquid product that works on contact with the diseased areas right away, as well as absorbs through the plant roots to provide 7-21 days of protection. Due to pressure from the pathogen and climatic conditions, some brown spots may remain. Dowco recommends treating the disease with two applications scheduled two weeks apart.
- Let the disease let its course run through the year. The destroyed areas will need to be aerated and overseeded in the fall.
If you think you see disease or fungus in your turf, give Dowco a call for a quote!
Dowco is the premier provider of lawn care and landscape maintenance services. We are committed to improving the quality of your life so that you can spend time doing the things you want to do! Our full service menu includes weekly maintenance of your property, plant health visits, and modern site enhancements.